Saturday, July 31, 2010

July 29th, 2010--En route to Jo'burg, Jo'burg

To continue Victoria Falls...
We walked back absolutely drenched. I got a lovely little splinter; a painful souvenir. The ones who had chosen the dry path looked smugly on as we shivered in the twilight chill. The overlander was half way warm, and Tony donated a blanket to aid Sarah's and myself warmth. When we got back, we changed clothes and had a few minutes to chill before walking over to the Boma, Place of eating. Let's just say it was quite the experience. They tied wraps around us as we went in and were greeted with a drum. It was supposed to be an authentic Zimbabwe place, and it didn't disappoint. I tried warthog and ostrich, along with other authentic foods (crocodile tail too!). Warthog is my new favorite meat. Yum! We got back around 10 PM and had our devotions in our lodge. Brad taught Jonah 4 and we did a debriefing. I was so exhausted I was almost nodding off, but after everyone dispersed, I got a hot shower and climbed gratefully into bed. The alarm went off at 7 AM this morning and we got up and packed our bags for our flights. Pancakes for breakfast, then we loaded the overlander and climbed aboard. They took us to the craft market where a culture experience ensued. It was a game; whoever blinks loses. I know I got taken in the two items I purchase, but I was too reluctant to negotiate very low. I was torn between the realization that I was being taken and the fact that I knew they were overcharging me. Ah well. $30 for a couple of beautiful souvenirs was worth it. And no, I would NOT do well in a bartering culture. :-) They also were willing to trade anything we had. One man asked Sarah for her head band to trade. Another man asked me for a Bible, which I would have given, except for the fact that possessions that are received with no cost have little worth. After negotiationswere completed, we climbed into the overlander one last time. We drove to the airport and unloaded our baggage. A group shot with Andrew and Stephen, farewells and well wishes, and we're on the plane, winging our way to Jo'burg.
There is a bittersweet feeling for me right now. I honestly wanted to stay. Many in fact most team members will have families eagerly awaiting them at the airport. Kyndra and the kids will be there to greet me, of course, so that is heartening. This is just a season of life. A large part of it is the fact that there is so much work to do with the Tonga. I have no family to care for, no set in stone jobs and responsibilities. I could go. There is opportunity to go. However, it is the realization that I have more preparation complete that stays my ambitious mind from making plans. There is still much work to be done in my heart before I take that step. Zimbabwe and the Tonga people will forever be in my prayers, but I fervently pray that the Lord will allow me to serve them in the future. Mr. Duncan and Mrs. Tatiana will also be in my prayers. Lord willing I'll be able to serve along side them.

Afternoon, 3 PM
We made it to Jo'burg. The landing left me queasy, but my empty stomach thankfully didn't betray me. Tony was sweet and bought me an ice tea earlier and now we're waiting for the Delta desk to open.

Evening
We made it through immigrations, security, and the airport to wait for our flight. I have felt extremely nauseous; I almost thought I was going to throw up. Thank the Lord I haven't. They got me a coke and that seems to have settled my stomach. The Jo'burg airport is massive. It almost feels like a mall when you're walking through. Crazy. On the plane from Victoria Falls Sarah and I had a good conversation about speaking truth. She is such a sweet girl; I hope we can keep up when we get back. Lord, please give me strength and health to get through this 16 hr flight! I was already dreading it, but being sick doesn't make matters easier. God is good, through thick and thin, through nausea and fainting. Lord, please sustain me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Highview Baptist Church - Spencer County Campus Audio Podcast