
I am so tired this evening it will be difficult to recall all that we did today. The alarm went off at 5:30 AM, so after rolling over, we climbed out of bed and got ready. Breakfast at 6:30, then we led devotions at 7 AM. The men sang again; I could listen to them all day, it was so beautiful. We got our stuff and headed out in the truck at 8 AM. We went to Alex's house where the men taught leadership sessions for the pastors and translators. We women sat nearby, talking quietly with the women and holding a adorable baby. After about two hours, the men wrapped it up and we walked back to the road to split up in Evangelism teams. Our goal was to invite people to the service that afternoon. We split up into Evangelism teams. John and I were teamed up with Canaan Kowena and Charles Saba. We set off down a side road; we met some kids walking on the read, and they visited with us as we invited people. It was almost awkward as the translators and ourselves weren't quite sure how to work things, but we talked it over and things went much more smoothly after we determined a pattern of conversation. Cultural note: Men talk to men, women to women. The two do not approach one another. If there is a man present, then he is always addressed. If it is just women, then its my job to speak to them. Conversation has never been a strong point for me, but I am learning to ask about their marital status, children, etc to engage the women and establish some sort of relationship. We are so different. I am a wealthy white woman from America. They are poor Zimbabweans with absolutely nothing. Our connection point is the fact that we are both dead apart from Christ. We both desperately need him. Cultural note: Men don't make eye contact with women. Mrs. Tatiana says its a respect thing. It is such a hard habit to break! I still remember mom telling me that if I didn't look a person straight in the eye, I was being rude. It is a strenuous mental process to adhere to cultural expectations, remember C2C, make conversation, and be in prayer at the same time. I was able to share the C2C story with some teenage girls; they claimed to be members of the church of Christ. It seems every other person you meet is Church of Christ! Who would've thought? Our translators, Charles and Canaan were wonderful. Charles Saba is the head man of the area. He did the majority of the translating and had very good English. His son is Kelvin, one of the men working with Mr. Duncan. I didn't know Charles was the head man until afterwards, but I very much enjoyed working and talking with him. He was very friendly and asked questions about my studies and age. Mr. Duncan says Canaan is the best translator because he's very precise and clear with his Tonga. He let Charles do most of the talking, but he translated later at the service. We went to about six huts and were gone for two hours. We did a lot of walking! There are hundreds of little trails through the bush, connecting, branching off, leading from hut to hut, grouping to grouping, The ground is pure sand. I don't know how trees grow in it, but it literally feels like your walking on the beach. Scrubby sharp bushes and plants grow, and goat and chickens find shade under trees. If you hear rustling off the path, it is most likely a black goat or mamma hen with her chicks. Because we have the permission of the head man, our safety is guaranteed. If anyone does something to us, they are, in effect, doing it to the head man. This is a comfort as we walk along the barren and somewhat unsafe looking areas. We are safe in the hands of the Lord, but this reassurance is comforting. We came back for a quick lunch of sandwiches and headed out again. By this time I had worn a hole into the soles of both my shoes, so I got some duck tape and repaired them temporarily. We went to the school where we were having the service and immediately the children flocked to us. People began trickling in and we sat on benches. Kelvin led the group in three songs, then Jim talked through part one of the extended C2C. The choir sang two songs, then Adam taught part two. More singing, then Brad taught part three. They then asked us to sing, so we sang "Amazing Grace", which was better than our previous attempts. They closed the service with prayer and everyone began to disperse. I played with the kids for a little bit, then I had the opportunity to talk with Mr. Duncan. His heart for the Tonga was so moving. Their term ends in October, and if their church doesn't pick up their support, they'll have to go back home and leave all their work with the Tonga behind. I could see that his just broke his hear; his burden for the Gospel to be shared with the Tonga was so strong. He has faith that God will complete the work he has begun, but there is such a need for a facilitator and go-between for the people who want to help spread the gospel. They have two pastors, the Kowena brothers, Canaan and Obert, along with the men serving as interpreters who are learning how to be spiritual leaders. There is such a need for discipleship among the Christian Tonga. The need is so great; the people are hungry. The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few. I mentioned to Mr. Duncan that I'm studying missions and will need to do an internship in the next two years. His face lit up and he said that he knew exactly where I could go. There's a woman named Ramona Bean in Zimbabwe, working with the "True Love Waits" curriculem. He said we'd be perfect for one another. We walked back to the overlander and rode back for dinner. After dinner we had devotions on Jonah 1:17-2:6; Jim led. We had discussion afterwards, then we were dismissed. I am so tired. I'm not sure if its from jet lag, or from lack of sleep, but I am ready to crash. Sunday service tomorrow at 9 AM, so we can sleep till 8 AM. It's hard to believe its only been four days...two more days of ministry, but perhaps that will change. Skeeters are eating me up. Lord, protect me from Malaria.
No comments:
Post a Comment