Sam James’ Servant on the Edge of History was a thrilling read that blessed me immensely. The comfortable, casual style was pleasurable to read and made for a compelling story that was difficult to put down once begun. James’ love and commitment to the people of Vietnam emanates from the pages and warms the reader’s heart, while effectively communicating the true struggles on the field. This is one book that will go to a very well read section of my personal library!
James’ main theme throughout every story was that of dependence and ultimate trust in the Lord. Through times of distrust, danger, and even the threat of loss of life, the author had a decision to make. He had to decide whether or not God was big enough to take care of him and his family, and that He was working everything in His own perfect timing. James presented scenarios and situations that had me puzzled and uneasy as I put myself in his shoes. What would I do if a family came and asked me to raise their son? What would I do if all my possessions were stolen? Yet through every difficult decision, James stands firm in a very important aspect: trust in the Lord, His love, His timing, and His power.
The author addresses many issues that must be dealt with by any missionary. Among the colorfully written tales, James weaves lessons of perseverance, God’s love versus human love, trust in dangerous situations, fulfilling God’s will versus need, cultural family dilemmas, and trusting in God’s working in seemingly impossible people. James teaches the awesomeness of God’s reconciliation, clashing belief systems, wisdom in matters of morals and ethics, right loyalties, church body provision, wisdom in safety precautions, emergency preparation, and the eventual fruit of seeds that were faithfully planted. Through hardships comes perseverance, and through perseverance, faith. Through faith comes surrender, and through surrender comes big results.
One lesson that struck me was that the love and devotion for a certain people group came not from working with the people, but by loving God. I had always that if I worked among a certain people group long enough, I would come to love them. James taught me that this love will never come about without a deep and abiding love for the Lord. There will be times where human love cannot go the full mile, but God’s love will go above and beyond to show us the rose among the thorns and give us the perseverance to press on through difficult circumstances.
I very much identified with James’ thoughts in chapter five concerning the death of a young boy in a hospital. The story regarding a dying child in need of a tracheotomy caused my heart to ache for the author’s helplessness. James, in his distress at the boy’s simple need and his unskilled hands, dedicated his life as a doctor to the Lord. I myself have considered a nursing career, thinking that if I could heal their physical needs, there would be more receptiveness to healing in the spiritual realm. However, James’ insights regarding roles in ministry were very encouraging. “God calls every person to some kind of ministry. He gifts each person uniquely for the life he calls them to lead. Hands are not clean when they are kept to oneself to fulfill solely the purposes of one’s own life. Hands are clean when they have been returned to God’s control and are exercising the gifts which he gives” (55). I have neither the brains nor the stomach to become a nurse. However, God has uniquely gifted me to serve in my own ministry, and by seeking Him, I am fulfilling the purpose for which He created me.
The story of Mr. An and Mr. Hai left me amazed at the power of God’s reconciliation. As the story progressed, I waited for some disclaimer or struggle that came out of the situation between the two political enemies, but through God’s grace, revenge was laid aside and mercy and love was offered instead! The transformation of hearts and minds is an amazing testament of God’s grace and power. In many instances I put God in a box, expecting him to work in little, miniscule things, but not in the life changing, miracle realm. James, however, shows the latter to be completely false! Becoming a new creation in Christ is not simply a good idea or moral standard, it is a reality, and Christ is transforming lives once claimed by Satan! This is exciting to me, and very encouraging as I look forward to a ministry among people who are heavy laden with sin and guilt. Transformation is not only plausible, but a reality through the power of God.
My initial reading of James’ struggle in chapter twelve left me with puzzled thoughts and uncertain loyalties. I consider myself a loyal, patriotic citizen of the United States of America. If given a chance to aid my country, would I not have the right to do so? This was a question that I had never contemplated. My first inclination was that James should have accepted the assignment. In my mind, he was not being a loyal citizen when he gave up the chance to save the lives of American soldiers. However, as the chapter progressed, I began to understand why he made the decision he did. He would have compromised his “sole commitment [is] to Jesus Christ and His mission in Vietnam” (116) and would have been guilty of dishonesty with the people he served. Personally, I hope that I might make the same objective, wise decision if I am ever faced with this situation.
Chapter thirteen’s story of the little house church made me smile. I could almost hear the joy and delight in the author’s words as he spoke of this fast growing church of eager believers. The issue of space in church meetings is not unfamiliar to me, as I have grown up in and now currently attend a mobile church. This story, however, reminded me of how important the body of Christ is. The little church could have exhausted its resources and found a way to meet elsewhere, but it found that by binding together, they had all the space they needed, and in the process, became an even stronger body of Christ.
The issue of personal safety is one that I am well familiar with. Although I have never been in situations as dangerous or drastic as the author, my parents have conjured up thousands of gruesome ways for me to be hurt and killed while serving in missions. Being faced with the situations James’ and his family faced, I would hope that I would be able to stand strong. However, adding a family of my own to the mix would change things drastically. I am willing to take risks myself, but would I be willing to put my family in danger? Would any trauma experienced be worth it in the long run? James writes, “I firmly believe that God has something to teach us through every experience, no matter how traumatic it is. We only learn what He has to teach when we bring the experience into the light of His word and His presence and listen to what He is saying to us” (136). James sums it up well. “Living in the midst of war year in and year out presents a plethora of human need and need for the gospel. It presents numerous opportunities for service and bringing people to know Jesus. Life becomes unbelievably meaningful in the midst of ministry. However, life in the midst of war brings with it anxieties and fears that easily can cripple one’s effectiveness. The temptation to run away is great while an awareness of the benefit of staying is also great. To stay or leave is always the question” (136).
Chapter seventeen touched home for me as James saying goodbye to the place he had labored in and loved for years. Goodbyes are always difficult, but I cannot imagine how challenging it must have been to turn his back on his life work. Everything he had worked towards for the past years was ripped away from him in an instant and he was suddenly “homeless” in his drive and focus. However, James’ encouragement regarding his identity in Christ reminded me that we are never “homeless” in our pursuit. We may say goodbye to a particular place or people, but we are never lost when our focus is solely on God’s will and plan.
Chapter eighteen was a fitting finish to a narrative that could well be classified as an adventure movie or a danger filled novel. Sam James, in humble thanksgiving, shares a glimpse of the fruit of his long labors, and the joy he felt as he realized that God’s work in Vietnam had not been completed when the missionary left. God had continued working through those James’ had worked with, and it yielded monumental results. He writes in closing, “God is always giving a chance--an opportunity for us to allow Him to make us into what He would have us be. Ultimately whatever transformation occurs is because of God’s great power in us to change us, to energize us, to strengthen us, and to give us His authority to overcome and having overcome to be victorious” (164). This was a challenge to myself as I continue to seek the Lord’s will and trust in His power and guidance in my life.
No comments:
Post a Comment